Top 10 Chiropractic Myths
Over the years we’ve seen a number of myths take on a life of their own when it comes to chiropractic care. As with many myths they sometimes becomes accepted wisdom in place of established facts. At Jones Family Chiropractic we believe in the value of chiropractic care and providing our patients with the answers to many of the questions they may have in relation to chiropractic care.
Let’s take a look at a list of the top ten chiropractic myths and examine the facts:
1. Myth: Chiropractic adjustments are dangerous.
Truth: Studies have shown that Chiropractic adjustments are safer than many common activities like salon shampooing, break dancing and gazing at stars.
2. Myth: Prescription and non-prescription drugs are safe.
Truth:Adverse reactions to properly prescribed medications are the third leading cause of death in America. Chiropractic care offers a safe, drug free alternative to many ailments.
3. Myth: Once you go to the Chiropractor, you’ll always have to go.
Truth: Regular adjustments are a part of a healthy lifestyle. The choice to continue is yours.
4. Myth: Chiropractic care is not effective.
Truth: Millions of people have benefited from regular Chiropractic care, including: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, Christie Brinkley, Emmit Smith, Joe Montana and many others.
5. Myth: Children don’t need Chiropractic adjustments.
Truth: Chiropractic care is safe for children of all ages, including babies.
6. Myth: Childhood bumps and bruises are harmless.
Truth: OSHA estimates that a child sustains 1,500 spinal–related traumas before the age of 5. Regular chiropractic care can help minimize and correct those adverse affects.
7. Myth: Chiropractors aren’t real doctors.
Truth: Chiropractic students receive 4,485 hours of college classroom instruction vs. 4,248 hours for other medical students.
8. Myth: It’s safe and beneficial to perform self-adjustments.
Truth: While self adjustments can give temporary relief and a false sense of correcting the problem. It may lead to arthritis.
9. Myth: Your bones grind against each other during an adjustment.
Truth: The noise is the release of CO2 gas from the spine that creates the popping sound you hear after the adjustments. A noise-free method is now available.
10. Myth: Chiropractic care is expensive.
Truth: Many insurance companies including Medicare cover adjustments because they have statistically quantified the benefits of preventative care versus drugs and surgery.